Though there are several, these books have become somewhat canon and fundamental to starting and supporting someone on the deschooling path.
- Free To Learn by Peter Gray
- Summerhill by A.S. Neil
- Secrets of a Buccaneer-Scholar by James Marcus Bach
- The Art of Self-Directed Learning by Blake Boles
- Free At Last by Daniel Greenburg
Here are some great articles and essays that are a quicker read and further the cause of self-directed learning.
- What Is Self-Directed Education?
- Why Do People Choose Self-Directed Education?
- Survey of Unschoolers is a series of reports by Peter Gray where he thoroughly investigates the impact of self-directed education
- Why Our Coercive System of Schooling Should Topple
- What The Modern World Has Forgotten About Children and Learning
- A Radical Way of Unleashing a Generation of Geniuses
- Back to Basics is a portion of a larger work that interrogates the fundamental purpose and need for schooling
- A Map of The Alternative Education Landscape
- The Challenges of Unschooling
Below we link to the main websites and blogs of prolific and notable scholars, educators, and practitioners in the realm of unschooling and self-directed education. Each of them with their own perspectives, theories, and approaches. Each of them gateways to massive amounts of stories and information about this realm of alternative education.
- Peter Gray
- Ken Robinson
- Sugatra Mitra
- Akilah Richards
- A.S. Neil
- Daniel Greenberg
- Yaachov Hecht
- Blake Boles
- John Holt
- Penelope Trunk